PAL is a program that works to promote physical activity, school connectedness and social competency. This program allows for a select group of Grade 6 students to demonstrate leadership skills and responsibility through running a variety of activities within the school at recess time.
A key aspect of the program is increasing participation among those who may be isolated at school or not involved in physical activity outside of P. E classes. This is achieved through the targeting of specific participants, the skills of the leaders and the games and activities chosen.
Aims of the Program:
• Increased physical activity at recess.
• Foster self confidence and social competency skills of all participants.
• Enhance relationships between students and staff.
• Build leadership skills including organisation, management and teamwork.
• Enhance interaction between student year levels.
Benefits of PAL for Student Leaders:
• Leadership skills such as communication, decision making, organisation, managing groups and peer support.
• Social skills including planning, initiative, co-operation, self esteem, confidence, relationship building, teamwork and peer support.
• Satisfaction through assisting younger students.
• Skills to increase the participation of younger students.
• Skills that will assist with managing and running groups
Benefits of PAL for Participants:
• Increased participation in physical activity.
• Skills through modelling behaviour of Grade 6 PAL leaders.
• Physical activity skills and increased fitness.
• Increased confidence and a sense of teamwork.
• Physical confidence.
• Increased interaction with older school students.
• Increased relationship with peers.
Our PAL Leaders for 2018 are:
Una, Hanin, Reshmi, Ethan, Kristina, Hitanshi, Aravind, Sana, Shasvini, Zahra, Mahsooma, Shifa, Zulfiqar, Yagy and Fajer